Tuesday, May 24, 2011

6.7 km recovery run around Cole Harbour Heritage Park Trails

I felt really good today during and after my run around the trails off Bissett Road in Cole Harbour. The Heritage Park Trails consist of loops that connect so you can make your run as long or as short as you like. They are in green on the attached map. I actually ran all of the trails in green except for the one that extends northwest from the northern parking lot, my route included a few double-backs to the main trail.

I ran the Panorama Trail to re-acquaint myself with it before our hike with the Cubs tomorrow evening. Then I ran the Jersey Jack Trail, The Brook Trail, The Poor Farm Trail (a residence for the destitute of Halifax County in the 1800's and early 1900's), as well as the Costley Farm Trail (named after the family of settlers who lived there). Interesting juxtaposition of the "Poor Farm" and "Costley Farm" being located adjacent to one another. Finally I ran to my starting point via the Salt Marsh Trail, for a total of 6.7 kilometres.

The terrain and views of Cole Harbour made the run very interesting, especially the almost-two-kilometre Costley Farm Trail is a mountain bike trail, versus the rest which are maintained trails with crusher dust and no roots or rocks all over the place. Running on the Costly Farm Trail was kind of like running while playing hopscotch for 2 kilometres. This trail in particular was a really good workout but in retrospect, I am lucky I didn't twist an ankle or slip on a rock since it was raining during my run.

I remember feeling really energetic during the run, like I felt years younger, so maybe I am making progress after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment