Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 88

So I took my own advice and went for a run today since it is a beautiful sunny Good Friday. Last autumn -- pre-P90X -- I tried going for a run a few times and pretty much maxed out at 4 km each time.

Today I ran 8 km and I had plenty of gas left in the tank! I don't think I could have pulled off another half-marathon today (I ran one about 5 years ago) but I certainly could have done a few more kilometres.

I sprinted the last 500 metres and was not winded at all during the run. My heartrate got maxed a few times but I walked for a minute or so to get it back down, then continued running.

I ran 8 km because that is the distance of the loop of road where I live. If I hadn't arrived back home, I probably would have kept going. Did a nice 10 minute stretch using P90X moves and then relaxed on my deck chair watching the ocean waves. Boy, was that recovery drink ever tasty this morning!

This run restores my energy to finish the round strong, even though it's only 2 days away now! It is a real-life example of how P90X has dramatically changed my health in less than 3 months. I am so grateful to Tony Horton for developing this program, to myself for buying it and actually following through on it, and especially to my family and friends for your support, friendship and love.

3 comments:

  1. Day 88? That's your # dude!

    Awesome job on the run! My friend Gina wanted me to do the Bluenose 10km... but I've hurt my hip so I don't want to chance it... but I did measure that if you run to Bisset then start the loop down Dyke its almost exactly 10km to the top of our cul-de-sac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I did 8km today too... but on the boardwalk... I like how the wood absorbs the shock of running on my knees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hew guys, it is so nice to see a family thing happening here... doing sports, no less!

    I look forward to coming home and doing some workouts with you both. Dad has a great energy level on the treadmill, so what so you say? We take him out on the road? I will be the one puffing but, I can train for a special event? You know, it might even encourage other families in Cow Bay to do the same... what a positive impact! have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete