Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day 91 - Now what?

Thanks to everyone for your words of congratulations! It feels good to accomplish such a challenging 90 day program!

I could not have done it without your support.

I did my post-P90X fit test. The results were a bit surprising in some ways, not so much in others.

My resting heart rate dropped from 78 to 68 BPM. That's like giving me 10 extra years of life! Thanks Tony!

My recovery HR also dropped. Before Day 1, my initial HR was 150 and after 4 minutes, it was 112. After P90X, my initial HR was 158, meaning I worked harder than 90 days ago, and my recovery HR was 90 BPM!!!

My ab tests (wall squat and in/outs) increased by 80% and 50%, respectively. My strength tests increased too, but by lower margins. Strength has not really been a problem for me, fitness is my main concern. Thanks to P90X, I have seen great gains in my fitness. I am on my way!

So now what? I am taking the rest of the week off from P90X, with light recovery week routines, to prepare for Round 2 next week. As per my plan, I will be doing Classic this time. I think I am ready for the full Plyo session. I will also be adding in real life exercise when I want to, since life is not just about working out in your rec room. I am at a point now where I can do stuff with my kids and not be fearful of injury. How sad was that state of affairs, at age 39?

The past 3 months have changed my outlook on exercise, my body image, food, and my way of life. My weight and fitness goals are still to be attained, but I think it will be 2 more rounds (or 6 more months) before I reach them.

1 comment:

  1. Hey sweet son,

    Well done! Besides your looks returning to handsome...the most impressive part of your change to me is the heart rate... WOW! your heart is saying : THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU... and what do you think your family is saying? THANK YOU 10-fold!

    I am so delighted that you are taking heart in this process (no pun intended). I can't wait to be home next week and watch our families'progress to good health. We will no doubt feed off each other's enthusiasm... how awesome is that?

    6 months... well, that would be just in time to celebrate your wedding anniversary... now that is a nice goal! Cheryl will be in company of a swell, handsome gentleman aka: hunk :-)

    I am offering to babysit if you plan a get-away :-)

    Keep up the great work and interest in getting fit by 40! The returns are 'huge' (no pun intended there either :-)!

    ReplyDelete