Monday, February 2, 2009

5 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight

Here is a link that came up when I signed in to my computer this morning:5 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight

In short, the reasons are:
1. Avoiding Real Change
2. The Quick Result Cult
3. Going to Extremes
4. Following Diet Trends
5. Conceding Defeat Too Soon

I believe that I have not succumbed to any of these 5 reasons during the past 3 weeks on P90X.

1. I have found that I have really changed how I think about food and my self image.

2. I have not resorted to using any kind of artificial weight-loss means, like colon cleansing or pills. I understand that I didn't gain this weight overnight. To get back to where I was years ago will take some time.

3. While the P90X nutrition guide is a fairly drastic change from my old eating habits, I still allow for a few changes in my nutrition. I hesitate to call them cheats, since that denotes that I am getting away with something, which is my old way of immature thinking about food.

4. I have tried the latest diet, time and again, only to quit it because the regime was artificial. I now feel like P90X has shown me that eating whole foods is far superior to processed junk food. My friend Alistair told me about this mindset a couple years ago, to only eat what you would recognize as food without any processing. My joking response to him was that I would recognize a cheeseburger as a cheeseburger. Lately though, I have developed a better appreciation for that way -- my new way -- of thinking. Thanks Alistair!

5. This has been the stumbling block for me so many times. I used to miss a day at the gym or have a fattening meal or two, then I would tell myself I will make up for it later, but then I wouldn't follow up on it. During the past 3 weeks, I recognize that one meal does not a failure make. As for the workout side, I have not missed a day and I don't plan on missing any in the future. This program fits into my schedule, it is quite varied so I don't get bored, and being part of a Team Beachbody online support group has made a real difference to me. Having other people to chat with, ask questions of and receive answers from, and generally give and get positive feedback has made a huge difference in my taking ownership and participating in P90X. This blog is also a big step for me. Even though I have been blogging for over two years now, this blog about my journey back to health and fitness has been a daily responsibility that I have taken on, to stay accountable to myself and to the few friends and family who are reading it. Thanks again for your support, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment