Monday, January 19, 2009

Goals

While this may be a bit personal, I have decided to post my goals for P90X and life. I guess I started the P90X program with only a few broad ideas in mind. However, I am enough of a goal-setter to realize that I won't know if I have achieved success unless I have goals that are SMART:

S - Specific
M - Measurable
A - Achievable
R - Realistic
T - Timely

I have short-term goals (by May 15, 2009), medium-term goals(by December 31, 2009), and long-term goals (2010 and beyond). By the way, I started P90X as a weight-loss/fitness program as part of a challenge I have with 3 other overweight friends. We are meeting on May 15 to compete in some fitness tests. The loser has to wear a dress for a night on the town and the winner gets to choose where we go for the evening! It's all in good fun and it has provided the excuse for each of us to get serious about our health. Weight loss is only one of 7 components, more points go to winning the athletic challenges. The events are: Beep test (shuttle run), push-ups, sit-ups, longest timed plank, 40 yard sprint, and most baskets in 3 minutes of free throws. The goal is for all of us to get healthier, not simply lose weight.

Keeping that in mind, here are my SMART fitness/weight loss goals:


By May 15:

Weigh 249 lbs, down 47 lbs from 296 lbs (start weight).

Comfortably wear waist size 38 pants, down 6 inches+ from just getting into size 44 pants at start.

Have body fat to 25% or less, down from 45% at start.



By December 31 ,2009:

Weigh 229 lbs.

Comfortably wear size 36 pants.

Have body fat to 20% or less.



2010 and beyond:

Maintain weight of 229 lbs or less, size 36 pants or less, body fat of 20% or less by continuing my new lifestyle that I am learning through P90X.


As for non-numeric goals, my other goals are (in no particular order):

Eat sensibly, first following P90X nutrition plan, then on my own after re-learning new eating habits.

Spend 1 hour every day for exercise.

Spend 1 hour+ every day with my wife and children with no distractions or other plans, just enjoying one another's company.

Blog/post on BB forum every day regarding my progress during my weight loss.

Spend 30 minutes every day in prayer and reading the Bible.


I believe these goals meet the SMART requirements. I have other goals: have more energy, enjoy life more, have a BeachBody, that are less measurable. I figure these goals will be achieved once I meet all of my SMART goals.

Thanks to everyone who has sent me messages of support! It means a lot to know I have people rooting for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment